Community Health Worker – Health Works
12 month Fixed Term contract, Part time (32 hours per week, 4 days X 8 hours per day)
“To create healthy and connected communities in Melbourne’s West through the delivery of high quality, accessible community and health services.”
The Western Region Health Centre (WRHC) provides a range of health and community support services and are committed to innovation and quality in all we do.
Western Region Health Centre is a non-for-profit organisation in Melbourne’s west which provides a broad range of services including community and allied health, medical, dental, counselling, support, and outreach. Our programs and services, addressing specific individual and community needs, actively cater for clients with a range of abilities and cultural backgrounds.
Health Works, a program of the Western Region Health Centre, aims to improve the health and wellbeing of people who inject drugs in the western suburbs of Melbourne. The service provides a range of programs including:
• a needle and syringe program which provides people who use drugs with new injecting equipment
• a drug safety worker who provides education and health promotion activities for people who use drugs
• a Cambodian, Lao, Vietnamese worker who works with these communities to foster a greater understanding of harm reduction
• a community education worker who raises harm reduction issues with the broader community
• a health care team, who provide holistic health services to people who inject drugs
The Community Health Worker role involves the delivery of clinical (including first aid and post-test counselling for blood borne viruses) and non-clinical primary care services to people who inject drugs. Community Health Workers are part of a multidisciplinary team that works alongside clients to address their health needs in a holistic manner.
We are seeking a committed and experienced individual to undertake the role of a Community Health Worker in the Health Care Team. The successful applicant will ideally have experience working in a complex health setting. It is expected he/she would have a working knowledge of harm reduction, the social model of health and BBV/STIs, particularly hepatitis C and HIV. A lived experience of injecting drug use is desirable. This position is fixed for one year.
• Tertiary Qualification in a relevant discipline (i.e. Social Work, Psychology, Alcohol and other Drug Studies, Community Development), or other relevant professional or personal experience
• Experience of working with people who inject drugs and have complex needs
• Knowledge of and a commitment to community health principles and practices and a sound understanding of harm reduction. In particular, issues relating to injecting drug use, blood borne viruses, health care access and other health care risks
• A sensitivity to and understanding of the issues and needs of people from culturally and linguistically (CALD) communities who inject drugs
• Commitment to teamwork and a collaborative approach to service delivery
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
• High level or computer literacy, including word processing and database skills and hold a current driver’s licence
Wages and Conditions: Community Health Centre (Stand Alone Services) Multi Employer Certified Agreement 2005 – As Varied 24 May 2011, classification Community Development Worker Class 2B (year dependant on experience). Attractive salary packaging with the option to salary package meals/entertainment and also venue hire (e.g. holiday accommodation) over the threshold, as well as FBT free items. This role offers a supportive team environment and flexible work arrangements to ensure a work life balance.
For a position description please visit our website at www.wrhc.com.au or for further queries, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com .
Closing date for applications is Sunday 16th December 2012 at 5pm.
Please submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , to the attention of Bernadette Suter and include:
• current resume
• covering letter
• a separate response to the Key Selection Criteria (located within the position description) – please note that applications will not be considered without this
A pre-employment criminal record check is mandatory.
WRHC is an equal opportunity employer.