Sydney MSIC Safer Injecting Workshop
If you’re currently working or volunteering to support people who inject drugs, and have some level of training and/or experience, this workshop is for you. This workshop is a full day course which aims to expand your skills in providing safer injecting advice, and build your understanding of:
- Safer injecting practices including high risk injecting and related problems
- Performance and image-enhancing drugs (steroids)
- Drug filtration (particularly opioid tablets) for injection with a practical demonstration using wheel filters
- An introduction to opioid overdose identification and management.
You will receive interactive and specialised training from our team of clinical experts, providing you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to enhance your work. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask the questions you’ve always wanted to ask, in a safe environment.
We’ve also added a new component on the administration of Narcan (Naloxone) in a community setting, and we’ll give you your own take-home kit containing two doses of Narcan. You will be able to recognise and effectively intervene in an opioid overdose – and maybe save a life.
Dates (each workshop is stand-alone):
- Monday 1 May 2017 (applications close Monday 17 April)
- Monday 9 October 2017 (applications close Monday 25 September)
Cost: $200 (includes cost of take-home Narcan kit)
Lunch and light refreshments provided
You’re very welcome to attend an early morning tour of the service at 8.30am before the training starts – just let us know when you book.