This is the final call for papers for the Fifth Annual Conference of the International Society for the Study of Drug Policy which will be hosted by the Trimbos Institute on 23-24 May 2011 in Utrecht, Netherlands.
This conference should be of interest to policymakers, practitioners, and academics from a wide array of disciplines who are engaged in drug policy analyses pertaining to drug markets, the harms caused by both the supply of and demand for drugs, and the intended and unintended consequences of drug policy. The goal of this conference is to share information, findings and methods as well as to facilitate collaboration among a broad set of top international scholars and policy makers.
The deadline for submission of abstracts or panel proposals is January 15, 2011. Abstracts containing between 200 and 400 words and panel proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Areas of particular interest include:
· Supply reduction indicators: how to improve data and estimates of production, trafficking, wholesale or retail dealing, and money laundering
· Improving and utilizing cross-national comparisons of problems and policies
· Harm reduction principles and practices in the supply field
· Regulating regimes as alternative for prohibitionist regimes: example regulating cannabis production, wholesale distribution, and street sales
· What do drug policy evaluations produce: applicability and use of evaluations and other policy (relevant) studies
· Cost benefit analysis of policies and measures (e.g. alternatives to prison, targeting of substance abuse treatment and diversion programs for criminal offenders) paying specific attention on the issue how to measure lost welfare associated with drug prohibition
· Assessing the major influences on drug policy decision processes, including institutional, cultural and political factors, such as: political windows of opportunity (politics and political competition), institutional resources of policy-actors and advocacy groups.
Optional post-conference workshops will be held 25 May, 2011.
Further information is available at http://www.trimbos.org/trimbos-international/agenda/issdp-conference-2011