Community Health Nurse
Part time, ongoing, 30.4 hours per week
Western Region Health Centre, Health Works
, 30.4 hours per week
“To create healthy and connected communities in Melbourne’s West through
the delivery of high quality, accessible community and health services.”
The Western Region Health Centre (WRHC) provides a range of health and community
support services and are committed to innovation and quality in all we do.
Health Works, a program of the Western Region Health Centre (WRHC), aims to improve
the health and wellbeing of people who inject drugs in the western suburbs of Melbourne
using a holistic, social model of health. We aim to address the health inequities
experienced by people who inject in a way that is confidential, innovative, responsive and
based on a harm reduction framework.
We are seeking a committed and experienced individual to undertake community health
service provision and other health promotion activities. The successful applicant will have
a working knowledge of the social model of health, sound clinical skills and an interest
in developing and enhancing nursing skills in STI’s , Hepatitis C and HIV management.
Ideally you will have experience working within a community setting or harm reduction
model. You will also have a solid understanding of the clinical and psychosocial health
issues affecting people who inject drugs and the ability to devise care plans and health
promotion initiatives within a team setting.
The applicant is to be a Division 1 Nurse registered with the Australian Health Practitioners
Regulation Agency (APHRA). Post graduate qualifications in community health, public
health, BBV, STI’s, sexual and reproductive health are desirable. HIV and Hepatitis C
testing accreditation would be an advantage. Experience in working in community health
settings with marginalised groups is highly desirable.
• Division 1 Registered Nurse eligible for registration with Australian Health
Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and have an understanding of independent
• Demonstrated experience or interest in providing health services to people who
• A sound understanding and commitment to harm reduction especially in relation to
injecting drug use, health care access, blood borne viruses and other health risks
• A sensitivity to and understanding of the issues and needs of people from culturally
and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities who inject drugs
• Ability to work as a part of a multidisciplinary team
• Highly developed interpersonal and written communication skills
• Ability to develop harm reduction based health promotion activities to reduce health
risks associated with injecting drug use, and improve the general health of people
who inject drugs
• Computer literacy, including word processing and database skills
• A current driver’s licence
• Credentialed in HIV and Hepatitis C Testing accredited and registered with the Victoria
Department of Health
• Experience working in a multidisciplinary workplace of similar setting
Wages and Conditions: Nurses (Victorian Public Sector) Multiple Employer Agreement
2007 – 2011, Registered Nurse Grade 3B. Attractive salary packaging available.
For a position description please visit our website at www.wrhc.com.au or for further
queries, please phone Rebecca McBurnie, HR Assistant on 03 9680 1138.
Closing date for applications is 5:00pm on Sunday 6th May 2012.
Please submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of
Bernadette Suter and include:
• current resume
• covering letter
• a separate response to the Key Selection Criteria (located within the position
description) – please note that applications will not be considered without this
A pre-employment criminal record check is mandatory.
WRHC is an equal opportunity employer.