The Summer Hill MERIT team have two vacant Aboriginal identified positions as MERIT case managers (1 male clinician and 1 female clinician). These positions are readvertised and will appear in the Koori Mail on 7/11/07 and in the Indigenous Times on 13/11/07.
The team covers the Inner West Sydney area through Burwood, Bankstown and Newtown Courts and clients transferred from other areas (mainly Downing Centre Local Court). The service has a commitment to improving health outcomes for Aboriginal clients. In addition to case management of clients, the position involves liaison and maintaining relationships with local communities and community organisations (mostly Redfern and Marrickville areas).
The service is based in a stand alone building, near public transport on Liverpool Road, Summer Hill/Ashfield. Approximately 15-20% of clients are of Aboriginal heritage. Support is offered through training, one to one and group supervision and support through the Sydney South West Area Health Service Aboriginal Network. Additional support or supervision by an Aboriginal Health Worker can be arranged on request.
– Local court based drug treatment program allowing offenders with drug problems to undertake treatment as part of their bail
– A pre-plea program designed to divert people in to treatment at an early stage in the legal process
– Participation is voluntary and subject to approval by a Magistrate
– MERIT clients participate in an intensive 12 week tailored drug treatment and case management program and post MERIT support is arranged
– Types of treatment may include detoxification, residential rehabilitation, pharmacotherapies, individual and group counselling, skills development, case management, welfare support and assistance
For more information, contact Elizabeth Haines at Summer Hill MERIT if you have any questions about the positions on 9797 9930 or to arrange a visit to the MERIT office.